This course is currently full and online booking is not possible. Please call 03000 41 22 22* to register your interest. We will contact you directly if we can accommodate you.
Are you fluent in French? Do you want to maintain your level and develop aspects of your conversational skills and gain a deeper cultural understanding? This Advanced Plus course in Maidstone is for you.
The course is classroom based. Exchanging face to face with your supportive tutor and other students will give you the opportunity to practise speaking in French with other learners to develop your language skills further and
to communicate with a very near-native degree of fluency and accuracy.
By the end of the course successful students should be able to:
- Exchange views confidently on a range of topical subjects.
- Take part confidently in a discussion with native speakers with a near native command of the language.
- Use language, vocabulary, idiomatic and colloquial expressions appropriate to the formality of the situation and subject, and to the context and culture.
- Obtain information, ideas and opinions from a variety of sources.
- Extract required details fully and accurately.
- Deal with texts of a technical nature with the help of a dictionary or other reference source.
- Produce written texts for a variety of purposes. Modify language to communicate in ways appropriate to the context and relationship between writer and reader.
How will I be taught?
The focus will be on oral communication (speaking and listening) and some reading and writing will also be included. Pronunciation and French culture are an integral part of the course. The course will be conducted mainly in the foreign language. Learners will work through different activities individually, in pairs and in small groups, using a variety of learning methods and resources (role play and games etc). Homework set will provide and opportunity for self study including the use of online resources.
Initial assessment will be carried out at the beginning of the course to assess individual skill level. Each student starting point will be recorded on an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and targets will be set. This will be revisited from time to time during the course to monitor and record progress. Tutors will mark homework and give written or verbal feedback.
What do I need to bring with me?
The course book will be discussed at the first session if appropriate. Students will need to bring a pen and paper and an A4 ring binder for handouts, although we advise students not to buy anything until after the first session.
What can I do next?
The appropriate follow on course is another French Advanced Plus course. The tutor will be able to advise or check
What do I need to join the course
The course follows on from our French Advanced Plus course and it is for anyone who is looking to develop their fluency and accuracy to a very near-native level of pronunciation/intonation, extensive choice of vocabulary, grammar as well as idiomatic/colloquial expressions.
Students should have studied the language for approximately 350 hours or have completed up to A level or have spent an extended period of time in any French speaking country.
To join this course, students should already be able to:
- seek and respond to ideas, opinions and information on a wide range of topics, using a variety of language structures
- understand with great ease newspaper/magazine articles, conversations etc.
- use some colloquial expressions and appropriate language register.
- use the subjunctive mood, passive voice and direct/indirect speech
- have some degree of fluency and accuracy in pronunciation/intonation, choice of vocabulary and grammar.
If you are unsure carry out our self-assessment test available on www.kentadulteducation.co.uk. The assessment provides a score to help you chose the best course for you. If still unsure, speak to us or to a Curriculum Leader.
Getting to your course
St Faiths Adult Education Centre
St Faiths Street
If you require any information about this location then please call 03000 41 22 22* and quote the Course Code MAI/109174/K/PF.
E-newsletter sign up
Fill out the form below to sign up to emailer. You’ll get the very latest news, events and new courses.