This course will be held at Ashford Adult Education Centre at Ashford Gateway.
In this Absolute Beginners Sewing course students will be able to make use of our sewing machines, irons and other equipment required for this course.
Do you have a sewing machine but don’t know how to use it? Has it been years since you have sewn and feel you lack confidence to try again? This course will start at the very beginning with how to thread your machine, and will introduce you to commonly used techniques for sewing and alterations.
You will start by making samples of sewing techniques which you can keep in a folder. You will be able to progress to begin sewing a basic garment using a commercial pattern or a provided pattern.
This 6 week course focuses on:
• identifying fabric types
• using a sewing machine to perform basic stitches
• looking at and becoming familiar with a shop bought pattern or using a simple pattern (provided)
• using a pattern to begin the process of making a garment that fits
How will I be taught?
There will be tutor demonstrations and guidance - given on a group and one to one basis. There will be plenty of opportunities to discuss your work with the Tutor.
What do I need to bring with me?
For this course please bring with you:-
- A basic sewing kit to include dressmaking scissors, sewing needles, seam ripper, tape measure, pins, threads, paper scissors, ruler, notebook, pencil and rubber
- If you wish to bring your own sewing machine please do so
- You will need to provide your own fabric and thread to make the garment, however, we advise you to complete the first week before purchasing any patterns or fabric
- An A4 folder with plastic inserts to keep handouts would be useful.
What can I do next?
Your Tutor will be able to advise.
What do I need to join the course
Absolute beginners and those who want to refresh their sewing skills.
Getting to your course
If you require any information about this location then please call 03000 41 22 22* and quote the Course Code ASH/113358/K/NC.
E-newsletter sign up
Fill out the form below to sign up to emailer. You’ll get the very latest news, events and new courses.