Family Learning courses are engagement courses, helping families move back into learning.
These courses are funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency, so we must restrict the number of courses that any individual learner can do. These courses are free, and we would like to be able to offer them to as many people in Kent as possible.
YOU MAY ONLY ENROL ON ONE PARENTING COURSE OR ONE CREATIVE FAMILY LEARNING COURSE.
IN ADDITION, YOU MAY ENROL ON ONE ENGLISH, MATHS OR LANGUAGE COURSE.
THESE GUIDELINES APPLY IN THE ACADEMIC YEAR (1ST AUGUST 2021 TO 31ST JULY 2022).
Priority for places is given to NEW LEARNERS.
Please do not enrol unless you are confident that you will attend, as any no shows could have benefitted another family.
This online course is for Mothers, fathers and carers with children aged 4 to 11 years.
This course is for adults only.
It is designed to:
Familiarise adults with the main strategies currently used to teach reading, writing, spelling and handwriting in primary schools. It aims to help parents feel confident in supporting their children’s learning of English whilst providing an opportunity to brush up their own skills. It can be used as a route onto a longer English course with accreditation at the end.
Content will include all/some of the following:
• Look at how reading is taught in schools with the emphasis on synthetic phonics but including other key strategies
• Learn the accurate pronunciation of the 44 phonemes and how to use them when blending and decoding words
• Understand what is meant by tricky words, CVCs, synonyms, alliteration and other English terms and vocabulary which may be new and unfamiliar
• Explore story sacks and how to make reading fun for reluctant readers
• Discuss handwriting and practise cursive writing in line with the school’s handwriting policy
• Ideas to encourage writing and VCOP (if used in school)
• Make a selection of phonic and high
E-newsletter sign up
Fill out the form below to sign up to emailer. You’ll get the very latest news, events and new courses.